Monday, January 18, 2010

Martha Mine open day

WOW it was just awesome at the mine open day. We arrived before it opened at 10am along with a few hundred other people.

I paid $2 and got to attempt panning for gold. If done correctly you were guaranteed to find 3 flakes of gold amongst the sand. I found all 3 but more just swirled the sand around in water with my finger.

I got to have a go on a a rock drill. Let's just say I'm glad it was fixed to the ground and a man was there to help just in case. It was loud and the vibrations gave my arms the best work out they have had forever!! It was so powerful I might have sailed right out of the mine as it felt like it was lifting me up.

We then walked about half way down into the open cast mine (this was as far as you were allowed to go as it is still a working mine). On our way back up this photographer ran ahead of us then crouched down to take a picture. Curious as to what he would be taking a picture of I turned around. Only to see 13 protesters walking in a line with their t-shirts spelling out NO MORE MINING. This sum what amused me as they had collectively paid $130 to enter the mine and their weren't that many people at the open day that even took notice of them!

We also got to climb up some scaffolding to look into the cab and tray of a CAT 777 Mine truck.

The day was rather muggy and hot, with very sticky mud under foot, BUT terribly awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment