Sunday, January 10, 2010

My first ever post/blog

Well its not a new years resolution but took its time to formulate.
Other than been more adventurous outdoors and viewing our lovely country I have decided to expand my cooking skills.

On 1/2/10 I am going to complete the women's triathlon at the Mount.

All going to plan I will of completed the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award by 16/7/10 which for me is the cut off date as this is when I turn 25!

In regards to my cooking, in the last three days I have made for the first time:

Blueberry Muffins (not out of a box)
Banana Loaf
Buttons and Bows (a mince dish)
Dinner for One (another mince dish)

All are from The Ultimate Recipe Collection by Alison Holst.


In regards to my travel, I have been to Katikati, Omokaroa, Bowentown, Waihi all in the past week.

I am going back to Waihi this weekend as the Martha Mine is having its annual open day and I am going to walk through the Karangahaki Gorge as well.

Yesterday I went to Te Puna Quarry Park (it is very beautiful). I saw several Kingfishers and heard many Tui.
I also went to the Mission house at The Elms. It is well restored and the library is amazing! It is the first purpose built private, free standing library in the Southern Hemisphere. I think it is also the oldest. There was a book there from 16?? (can't remember the exact age but it was ancient!)

Today I visited the Historic house on Cameron Road. It was also well looked after, it was built and lived in by the same family for nearly 100 years before it was gifted to the Historic Society in 1971 at the death of the spinster who resided there.

3 comments:

  1. You have to let me know how the Gorge was, I have always wanted to do that one, its only an hour away from my house!
    PS Good luck with the cooking.... but surely from a box doesn't count!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo can I come with you to the karangahake gorge? I love it there. We did a long walk there once, I think I told you about it on the phone. Just remember to take a torch so you can go through the caves. We stopped there on the way back from Gizzy so i could dangle my feet in the river lol. I want to go back there swimming, the water is actually really warm.

    ReplyDelete